Intake and Inquiries

What happens if Child and Family Services (CFS) becomes involved with your family?

CFS’s first concern, based on Manitoba law, is to ensure that children are safe. CFS, whenever possible, tries very hard to help parents find ways to keep their children safe and supported at home.

There are a number of ways that CFS can support families:

• Family support workers who provide families with a break and/or who can teach parents about parenting strategies and budgeting
• Access to emergency support such as food, housing and transportation
• Find counselling and parent education programs
• Provide services for parents under 18 years of age
• Locate support programs and services in the community
• Advocate for housing or other basic needs

What happens if your child comes into the care of the Child and Family Services system?

Keeping children safe is the main goal of Child and Family Services (CFS) in Manitoba. CFS offers supports to families and children to help keep the family together. In most cases when CFS becomes involved with families, children do not go into care. Placing children in care occurs only when a child is in immediate danger and there is no other way to ensure that a child can be kept safe.

If this happens, it is important that you know and understand your rights and responsibilities as a parent while your child is in CFS care.

What can I do if I am unhappy with the service my family is receiving?

If there’s a problem, CFS will do their best to resolve it. Talk to your CFS worker if you have any concerns or questions. If you and your CFS worker can’t sort it out, ask to speak to the CFS supervisor. It has been our experience that most matters are usually resolved at this point. However, if you, your CFS worker, and the supervisor can’t resolve the problem, and you are still not satisfied that the issue has been dealt with, you may contact the manager that oversees the supervisor involved. The final step within the agency structure would be to contact the agency director. If you have used all avenues within the agency structure, you may then contact the General Authority agencies and service regions listed on this site or call the General Authority toll free at 1-866-803-2814. You may also contact the General Authority by email at